[Ndca-l] 2009 Hurricane Debate Institute (University of Miami)

Ernie Querido joydivision300
Tue Apr 28 11:47:45 EDT 2009

Hello Debate Caoch,

We realize that by this time, chances are that your debaters have already
selected a summer workshop.  However, if you know of debaters on your team
or on another team still looking for, or don't think they can afford a
workshop, we ask that they consider the 2009 Hurricane Debate Institute,
which will run from June 7-19.  Please feel free to forward this email to
them.

Our website can be found at http://hurricanedebateinstitute.blogspot.com.
 If the school server blocks the website, the other website,
http://debate.miami.edu/workshops can answer preliminary questions.

The focus of the HDI is on in-round skills development.  As a brief two-week
workshop, it's our philosophy that the old model of having every part of a
workshop research as much of the upcoming topic as possible is, at best,
obsolete.  The BEST high school debaters who have succeeded without
full-time coaching have demonstrated that a focus on skills development is
the fastest way to competitive success.

The Policy Debate staff consists, thus far, of both Kenny McCaffrey and
Ernie Querido.  Their records of high school coaching success speaks for
themselves.  Kenny's 2007 Gulliver team and Ernie's 2007 Pine Crest team
were the only Florida teams in the quarterfinals of that year's Tournament
of Champions.

The Lincoln-Douglas staff is led by Randall Martinez of Columbus HS.  His
LDers have consistently cleared at local, state, and national invitationals.
 His novice LDer just won the 2009 FFL Novice State Championship.

The Public Forum Debate director is Dr. Nicole Richter, who just recently
earned her PhD in Communication from the University of Miami.  Her Ransom
Everglades team has been a top contender at any tournament they attend,
having won the Barkley Forum (Emory) PFD tournament for the past two years.

The BEST REASON to attend the 2009 HDI is cost.  You can see the difference
by visiting our website by clicking
HERE<http://hurricanedebateinstitute.blogspot.com/2009/04/dates-prices-and-housing-info.html>
!

Have a great finish to your academic year.

Best regards,

The 2009 Hurricane Debate Institute staff