[Ndca-l] Blake Tournament Open for registration at Joy of Tournaments

Shane Stafford sstafford
Wed Nov 4 09:51:21 EST 2009

Dear Debate Coach,

The National Forensic League Chapter of the Blake School is honored to extend to your school an invitation to attend the 47th Annual John Edie Holiday Debate Tournament. We are looking forward to an extremely competitive pool in Policy, Lincoln-Douglas,
Public Forum and Congressional debate. We are pleased to announce that Tournament of Champions bids will be awarded to the octofinalists  in Policy  and quarterfinalists in Lincoln-Douglas and finalists in Public Forum.  This year, all Policy, LD, Public
Forum and Congressional Debate rounds will be held at the tournament hotel, the Hyatt Regency, located in downtown Minneapolis. Most of the preliminary rounds will take place in hotel rooms. The rooms used for rounds will not be rooms that people stay in
overnight.

We will continue to offer the 2nd Annual Blake School Twin Cities Public Forum Round Robin.  This round robin will invite several of the finest public forum teams in the country to come to Minnesota.  This year we will run this event on Sunday following
the regular public forum division tournament.   We plan to take some of our best Hyatt meeting rooms and run this event with 2-3 judges per round.  Our goal is to invite a host of citizens from the Twin Cities to provide a diverse judge pool and
highlight the activity of debate to all of the Twin Cities.  The goal for this event is great competition and high visibility.  We will use the NFL January 2010 Public Forum Topic.

Several wonderful coaches are  helping us with tab again this year. Maggie Berthiaume from Chattahoochee, Pete Nikolai from St. Paul Central, and Tara Tate from Glenbrook South will be handling policy tab.  Mike Bietz from Harvard-Westlake and Fred
Robertson from Millard West will run LD tab.  Chris McDonald from Eagan will head up the regular division of Public Forum and Greg Dawson from Blake will manage the Public Forum Round Robin.  Bill Cooper from Manchester Essex has agreed to assist with
Congressional Debate

We sincerely hope that you and your teams will be able to join us this year. Add to your tournament experience a visit to the Mall of America or watch the unique Holidazzle parade outside of the hotel. Minnesota may be cold in December but we hope to
keep you warm with a variety of activities. The tournament staff will be more than happy to make suggestions for good food and fun experiences while you are in town.

DATES:  December 18-20, 2009

LOCATION:  All Policy, LD, Public Forum and Congressional rounds are held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel located at 1300 Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis.

DIVISIONS:   Four divisions will be offered: Varsity Policy, Varsity Public Forum, Varsity Lincoln-Douglas and Congressional Debate. In policy, the national topic on poverty will be used. In Lincoln-Douglas, the national January-February topic  will be
used. For Public Forum, the national January topic will be used.  You may enter a maximum of four Policy teams, six Public Forum teams and six LD debaters. Congressional Debate will be limited to six entries.  Please contact Shane if you need additional
teams beyond our entry limits.

FORMAT:  Registration will be available 8:00 to 10:00 PM on Thursday and  8:00 to 11:00 A.M. on Friday. Results are scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. Quarter-finals of policy and LD will be held on Sunday. In policy, there will be seven preliminary
rounds and a break to double octofinals following round seven. Lincoln-Douglas will break to partial-triples after round six, advancing all 4-2 LD students. In Public Forum and Congressional Debate we will announce an appropriate number of eliminations
rounds as entries come in.  In policy, the first three rounds we will preset randomly with geographical constraints and using an A-B-C format.  In LD and Public forum, the first two rounds will be preset randomly with geographical constraints.  Remaining
 rounds in all divisions will be powered high-low within brackets. Lincoln-Douglas and Public Forum will be flighted  through the preliminary rounds. Depending on the number of entries in each division, the above schedule is subject to change. Speech
time in policy will be 8-3-5 with 8 minutes prep time. Time limits in Lincoln-Douglas will be 6-3-7-3-4-6-3 with 5 minutes prep time. Forum will use the NFL time rules, and will observe a coin toss.

JUDGING:  One judge must be provided for one or two policy teams. Two judges are required for three or four policy entries. A half-time judge will be obligated to judge 4 rounds. Public forum will require one judge for every three teams, or fraction
thereof. Because of flighting in Lincoln-Douglas, you will need to bring one judge for every three LD debaters, or fraction thereof. In Congressional Debate will need one judge for every six entries or fraction, or fraction thereof.  We will have a
limited number of judges available for hire at $200.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:   We are required to pay for the rooms that are used at the hotel for the actual rounds. Because we have to pay for the rooms, it is important that we know the number of teams you are entering as early as possible. After 5PM on
Monday December 7th registration will close.  I will take late registrations if we have room.   Fees will be final after  5PM on December 7, 2009.  All fees must be paid no later than tournament registration.  Any team whose fees are not paid at that
time will not be entered.

OTHER INFORMATION: An outstanding coach award is presented each year. Please consider an appropriate nomination. Forms for this will be available at registration. Low point wins will be allowed. Maverick policy and public forum debaters will be allowed
to win but will receive a maximum of 30 speaker points and will not be allowed to advance to elimination rounds. No independent entries will be allowed, in keeping with TOC policy in the awarding of bids.

We hope that we can provide you with an enjoyable tournament experience. Everyone should expect the same great tournament this year at Blake.  Your questions can be answered by calling Shane Stafford at 952-988-3747 or my cell phone 612-385-1796. You can
reach me by email at sstafford at blakeschool.org

Sincerely,

The Blake School Debate Directors
Shane Stafford ? Sandy Berkowitz