[Ndca-l] HS topic committee coverage

Timmons, Aaron timmonsa
Sun Aug 8 11:59:42 EDT 2010

NDCA Members,

We have a list of five topics that will be voted on by the high school debate community for the 2011 ? 2012 school year. Thanks to the NDCA members that offered comments to be shared with the group here in Chicago regarding the topics. Thanks also go out to Bill Batterman, Tim Alderete and Stefan Bauschard via Planet Debate for using various formats to get information out to coaches in a timely manner.

Next year the topic selection meeting is in Denver, Colorado on August 5- 7, 2011. For those that have never either attended the topic selection process OR submitted a topic/topic paper, I HIGHLY recommend that you attend/write a paper. It is easy to be critical of the process until to have seen/been a part of it! If you need more information on attending or writing a topic paper please send me an email.

Regards,

Aaron Timmons

The final list of topic candidates for the 2011-2012 season is as follows:

1. Cyber Warfare: The United States federal government should establish rules of engagement governing its use of cyber warfare.
2. Southeast Asia: The United States federal government should substantially increase its development assistance to Southeast Asia.
3. Space: The United States federal government should substantially increase its exploration and/or development of space beyond the Earth?s mesosphere.
4. India: The United States federal government should substantially increase its cooperation with India in one or more of the following areas: civilian space programs, nuclear proliferation, trade.
5. China: The United States federal government should substantially increase its economic engagement with the People?s Republic of China on one or more of the following issues: trade, currency, environment.