[Ndca-l] Job Opening: Chattahoochee High School

Maggie Berthiaume maggiekb
Mon Mar 21 13:19:13 EDT 2011

Hello Colleagues,

I am excited to announce an opening for Director of Debate at Chattahoochee
High School in Alpharetta, GA.

*Information about the debate team:*

We have one of the largest debate teams in the country.  We currently travel
8 teams nationally.  We had 60+ novices sign up to join the debate team this
year.  We have traveled 40+ students in novice this year.

The Director of Debate is expected to organize a travel schedule, run the
debate team, organize research waves, and maintain the debate budget.   The
program also has another coaching position for a novice/JV debate coach.
The current division of labor involves the novice debate coach conducting
 novice practices and traveling a largely novice and JV schedule while the
director conducts varsity practices and travels a largely varsity schedule.
  Most specific travel and job requirements are negotiable between the
director and the novice coach.

Chattahoochee debate has tremendous support both financially and
administratively.  The support of the principal is honestly beyond
comparison.   We have recently had a run of national and state success that
the administration is vested in continuing.  The PTSA board is also fully
supportive of debate and all the goals of the debate team.   The proximity
to UGA, Emory, Georgia State, and West Georgia as well as over 15 active
college debate alums means that we have access to a number of alums and
people to help.  The parental support makes the running of the team both
possible and enjoyable.  The parents are committed to making sure their
children receive the best coaching and to insuring that the team remains
financially viable.

*Teaching Requirements:*

There are currently 2 debate classes offered ? novice and varsity ? and they
are both taught by the director.   In addition to the 2 debate classes,
there is also an expectation to teach 3 academic English classes ? although
team taught classes make this job much easier than at most places.  The job
also includes a planning period.  In short, a seven period school day
involves 5 periods of teaching ? 3 academic and 2 debate ? with 1 planning
and a lunch period.

*A little bit about Chattahoochee High School:*

Size ? Chattahoochee is a 4A school that currently has a student body of
roughly 1800.

Location ? Chattahoochee is located in Alpharetta, GA ? a northern suburb of
Atlanta.  However, a majority of the faculty live in Atlanta, and the school
itself is a short and manageable drive from some of the finer parts of
Atlanta.   Traffic in Atlanta is notoriously bad ? but manageable ?
particularly if you choose your location properly.

*Job Requirements ? *

A love of debate ? we have a ton of kids and they all want to go to
tournaments.  Every aspect of debate can be done with this job ? community
work, novice teaching, varsity strategizing, researching, etc.

A Bachelor's degree or higher.  Additional degrees guarantee pay scale
increases.

Teaching certification is nice ? but not necessarily required if one is
willing to take a few tests to become provisionally certified in the state
of Georgia.

More information can be found at the following-

Chattahoochee High School ? http://chattcougar.com/

Chattahoochee Debate - http://hoochdebate.com/

The Fulton County School System - http://www.fultonschools.org/ including
the current payscale.

Provisional Certification -
http://www.gapsc.com/TeacherCertification/NewProvisional.asp

If you are interested in applying, or just have more questions about the
program, please feel free to contact me at: Maggiekb at gmail dot com.

Applicants should include a statement of interest, resume with description
of debate background, and contact information ? preferably email ? for at
least two debate related references.