[Ndca-l] More Space Lesson plans

Tate, Tara ttate
Tue May 3 14:59:07 EDT 2011

I finished the section of my lesson plan unit last week on the history of space exploration.  The timelines the students turned in were very creative and the presentations went well.

Christina Tallungan (Notre Dame, CA) developed a more comprehensive set of materials for the above lesson, complete with grading rubric.  It is attached.

Neil Norman (Caddo Magnet, LA) also email me about a video:

"One of the documentaries I found to be very helpful is available on instant play, if you have Netflix (maybe on PBS too.) It's called Life Beyond Earth.  It's pretty long, but fairly comprehensive background for many issues confronting us on this topic."

This week I am looking at the pros/cons of space exploration.  I will send those lessons along as I get them together.  The end of this unit will feature a writing assessment based on a paper debate (inspired by the IPPF model).  Students are to write a pro paper on next year's policy resolution - they are to choose a policy option that the USFG should adopt and defend it.  When students turn in their papers, those papers will be randomly distributed back to the class and students will have to write a counterpoint paper to the classmate's paper that they receive.

Thanks, Christina and Neil!  I am ordering the video after I send out this email!

Best,

Tara L. Tate

Director of Debate, Glenbrook South HS (IL)

Chair of the Board, National Debate Coaches Association

Co-director, The 2011 Glenbrooks