[Ndca-l] New head debate coach at Niles North High School!

Eric Oddo eriodd
Thu May 5 10:16:18 EDT 2011

Colleagues,

At the beginning of the academic year, the Board of Education of Niles
Township High Schools in Skokie, Illinois agreed to fund the establishment
of two new debate programs in the district. Niles North and Niles West used
to have successful debate teams up until the mid nineties, unfortunately,
these programs died out. When the new administration came to power in
District 219, one of their major goals was to reestablish successful
forensics programs. I was selected to help accomplish this goal as the
District 219 Speech & Debate Coordinator and Head Debate Coach at Niles
West.

It is my pleasure to announce that, starting next year, Katie Gjerpen will
be a new social studies teacher and head debate coach at Niles North High
School. Katie received her Bachelor of Arts from Michigan State University
and was an assistant debate coach at Groves High School in Beverley Hills,
Michigan throughout her undergraduate years. This year, Katie was a social
studies teacher and assistant debate coach at Lexington High School in
Lexington, Massachusetts. Katie helped guide five Lexington teams to
qualification for the Tournament of Champions, including a 2011 Tournament
of Champions finalist.

We are very lucky Katie decided to join the Niles Township High Schools
community. I'm looking forward to building the Niles North and Niles West
debate teams with her and I'm confident that all of you will support us in
this challenge.

Thank you for your continued commitment to build competitive and
comprehensive debate programs across the country.

Best,

Eric

--
Eric M. Oddo
District 219 Speech & Debate Coordinator