[Ndca-l] Space Lesson Plans - Endeavour

Tate, Tara ttate
Mon May 9 09:49:15 EDT 2011

Today, I have a very targeted lesson plan surrounding the Endeavour launch, which was initially scheduled for April 29 and then rescheduled for today...and then delayed again.  In an ideal world, we would be watching the launch live but who knows when that will be.

However, I am doing the following in class today:

I am having students watch the following three short videos about the history of the Endeavour, its current mission, and a news feed about its delay:

1  - http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=14554&media_id=86309571

2 - http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html?collection_id=14554&media_id=86309571

3 - "Endeavour Launch called off" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vNbJ6d-Fww&feature=player_embedded

I also passed out a following small reading packet comprised of the following articles:

1 - "Shuttle Endeavour's launch no earlier than May 16:  NASA" - Xinhua News Agency

"on its final voyage....only method for transporting astronauts"

2 - "New Endeavour liftoff date"  no earlier than May 16" - Christian Science Monitor
"two of the three space shuttles....push back because of delays"

3 - From the NASA archive - "NASA Managers meet to discuss Endeavour's Launch" and "Space Shuttle Endeavour to Launch no earlier than May 16" - http://www.nasa.gov/mission/pages/shuttle

I gave the students the attached worksheet to fill out as they are watching the videos and reading the handouts.  I am told the attachments are not working well so I cut/pasted the questions as well:

1.        When is the earliest that the Endeavour mission will be launched?
 2.        When was the original launch scheduled?
3.        In detail, please describe the issues that have caused the continued delays of the Endeavour launching.
4.        When the Endeavour does launch this final time, how many missions will it have undertaken?  Which space shuttle was it built to replace?  How many years has Endeavour been active?  What was the shuttle named after?

5.        What is the purpose of the Endeavour?s mission when it reaches outer space?  How many spacewalks are scheduled?

6.        Where will the shuttle Endeavour be  ?retired? to when it returns from this last mission?
         7.        After the Endeavour mission completes, what will be the only means by which to transport astronauts to and     from the space station?
8.        What launch pad is Endeavour currently sitting on at Kennedy Space Center?
         9.        When was the space shuttle Discovery retired?
 10.    How many members are on the crew for the Endeavour?  Who is the shuttle?s commander?  What other country besides the US is represented in the Endeavour?s crew?

11.    What is the final mission of NASA?s shuttle program? When is it scheduled to launch?
  12.    How many days is the Endeavour  mission now scheduled for?  How many days was it originally scheduled for?

Best,

Tara L. Tate

Director of Debate, Glenbrook South HS (IL)

Chair of the Board, National Debate Coaches Association

Co-director, The 2011 Glenbrooks