[Ndca-l] SPACE MILITARY DEBATE WEBSITE

Katie Gjerpen katie.gjerpen
Fri May 13 14:26:31 EDT 2011

I found that this website was a great way to give the kids a snapshot of
topic areas while giving them the opportunity to read some current
literature and use it in short speeches. Thanks for sending the link Holmes!

For my second-year debate class of around 20 kids, I used this lesson:

I chose three "debates" discussed on the site: US Space Assets
Threatened/Not Threatened, Space Weaponization Inevitable/Not Inevitable and
Space Weaponization Advantageous/Not Advantageous. The site is great in the
way it breaks down each topic - I picked 5-6 pieces of "evidence" for each
side of the three arguments. I formed 6 groups with 3-4 students in each.
Each group received the set of "evidence" for their topic and was paired
with the opposing group on the same topic. I gave them the full period to
prepare for the next class' mini-debates by having them read
through/highlight their evidence and come up with strong analytics. Here are
the speech times and informal structure I used:

Team 1 Constructive (4 minutes): Present your OWN argument with an
explanation, evidence and analytics
Cross-X (3 minutes)
Team 2 Constructive (4 minutes): Present your OWN argument with an
explanation, evidence and analytics
Cross-X (3 minutes)
Team 1 Rebuttal (3 minutes): Respond to your opponents' argument and explain
why yours is better
Team 2 Rebuttal (3 minutes): Respond to your opponents' argument and explain
why yours is better

Since there were 3-4 students in each group, I had the students pick two
spokespeople for the Constructive and Rebuttal. All students participated in
Cross-X.

Feel free to use or adapt - my kids loved getting to debate about the topic,
even if it was in an informal manner.

Best,
Katie