[Ndca-l] NDCA and card-clipping

Joe Carver josephcarver
Thu Dec 13 11:24:10 EST 2012

I am glad to see the board initiate this conversation Tara, as even my
casual interactions with coaches over the past two years have indicated a
significant increase in the alleged occurrences. I really only chime in to
provide two points.
First, the NDCA's greatest strength (and perhaps, itsweakness) has been the
lack of "teeth" that any measures that it enacts can collectively have on
the community as a whole. I think that to its credit, this has allowed the
organization to serve a partners to programs instead of governors- and the
activity benefits from that. For that reason, I think that you are correct
to position yourselves to not " police" these activities.
I do think however that the board has the ability to truly impact the
decision calculus of teams and directors because the Baker Award and the
NDCA tournament's profile and credibility have increased so dramatically. I
would hope that you would act more definitively than suggested here should
an allegation be proven. The Baker Award has come to represent high school
debate, the NDCA and the activity as a whole. If a team has been proven to
violate the most basic ethical principles of the activity, they should not
be allowed to carry the activities mantle. They should be disqualified from
the Baker Award entirely.
I understand that the challenge is in defining what "proven" means in this
context. You have far greater minds than mine to resolve that. I would just
encourage all of you to really take into account what damage this practice
does to the activity and it's credibility. Educators are charged to develop
certain competencies in their charges- quality decision making, personal
integrity and interpersonal cooperation among them. As a leader in the
community, and the collective respect and credibility that the NDCA has, I
believe that precluding a team that has cheated from claiming ownership
over an award given named after a coach who would never have allowed such a
thing to happen on his watch is the least that can be done.
Either way, I am glad to see the NDCA Board continue to be on the forefront
of these issues and wish you all well. Now I will crawl back into silence.
:)