[Ndca-l] NDCA and card-clipping

Scott Wheeler scottwheels
Thu Dec 13 13:27:51 EST 2012

I think there's a bigger problem, which is that speech documents have replaced actual speeches as the way we communicate information in the round.

I try to drill into the students' heads the importance of flowing (which includes flowing the warrants, or else your only means of comparison will be lining up tags about the same general idea, and hoping your arguments are dropped).  Then I get into a round and see one of my teams spend a minute of the 1NC on an advantage that wasn't in the 1AC because the other team didn't get to it.  The advantage wasn't extended in the 2AC (or mentioned again) and I'm scratching my head until my team tells me afterwards that the advantage was in the speech they were jumped.  The students thought that the other team had "cheated" in jumping them cards that they didn't get to, instead of the real lesson, that they themselves were terrible debaters for not listening.  After our talk, I think (hope) that has changed.

But it's a tough battle these days.  If I'm judging and ask for a card after the round, debaters suggest others that I might find helpful.  I politely decline, but presumably others don't.  Some students have asked if I also want the speech document jumped to me before each speech, and tell me that some other judges want them.  In an LD round, a student brought me a pre-flow.  I handed it back, astounded, and asked if other judges had accepted it.  He said yes, that every other judge had appreciated it.

Though telling opponents to mark cards at the appropriate point and telling them after each speech what was not read is good practice, it's only an ethical issue because we've been lazy in other areas.  There really shouldn't be any incentive to card-clip.  If a model lesson plan is the answer, it needs to go deeper than just pointing out these best practices.  We wouldn't need any sanctions if we had never strayed from the actual best practices--listening, flowing, and speaking.  Otherwise, in a couple years we'll just be "debating" over email.