[Ndca-l] NDCA and card-clipping

Joe Carver josephcarver
Thu Dec 13 21:33:15 EST 2012

I can't spend too much time on this, though I wish that I could. I think
that characterizing this as changing the body to a rules enforcement
organization is not an accurate depiction of any of Tara's suggested
courses of action.
The organization already has established "rules" for the running of the
tournament etc. In fact, as I recall, great time was spent determining
eligibility, hosting requirements and qualification. How then would adding
a caveat to not allow points that were determined to be obtained
unethically fundamentally alter the body?

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Stefan Bauschard <
stefan.bauschard at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> immediately following the rounds I can look to cards I need to read for my
>>> decision without students just compiling all the cards they believe are
>>> relevant and giving them to me.  I will more than likely continue the
>>> practice of collecting docs as they are read, but to think I can flow and
>>> read along is crazy talk.  I'm lucky I can keep up with the debates as they
>>> are happening when I'm just listening.  To listen, flow, and read along
>>> takes a special person that is not me.
>>>
>>> 2) *Speak to your students about the heinous nature of the crime*.
>>> Card Clipping/Cross-Reading is the most egregious crime a debater can
>>> commit in this activity.  Its along the same lines of doping in sports or
>>> plagiarizing in academia.  You are cheating the system.  The only thing
>>> that keeps these practices in check now is a system of trust and these
>>> violations are cutting at the core of that system.   If students more
>>> clearly understood what this means for them and how it can effect their
>>> long term character/identity in the activity, I believe it would come a
>>> long way to trying to halt the system.  People are hearing about issues
>>> happening and think that would never be my kids.  However, how many coaches
>>> have really followed through with class lessons dedicated to ethics in
>>> debate?  If you have I applaud you.  If you haven't you should think about
>>> it.  I know it should just be understood, but when a thread like this is
>>> begun by a coaches association its time to reevaluate our position.
>>>
>>> 3) *Assess meaningful penalties*:  Losing a debate, receiving zero
>>> speaker points, and even losing baker points or access to the award don't
>>> have the teeth necessary to combat this problem.  None of the above
>>> mentioned things really leave a lasting impact on a debater.  They usually
>>> believe the judge messed up, it was a one time error, or better yet they'll
>>> just "never do it again".  We always want to preserve the students
>>> integrity and give them a second chance.  However, what does that prove to
>>> the rest of the community, and the integrity of the game in general?  If a
>>> student can cross-read in 25 debates but is only caught and punished for
>>> one, it lets students believe that the other 24 were ok.  Also if you're of
>>> the school of thought that this is normally a one and done issue, shame on
>>> you.  This goes back to my initial thought that students are learning to
>>> perfect this rather than stop doing it.  Its the HGH of sports, the Cream,
>>> etc.  It is becoming more and more evolved and is ahead of the technology
>>> to catch it.  Therefore, how do we stop it.  We functionally levy the death
>>> penalty against violators.  This means you are banned from competitive
>>> practice for an academic season.  Some might find this TOO harsh but if you
>>> are caught cheating in school you can face the maximum punishment of
>>> expulsion.  Therefore, maybe instead of a season ban, we can ban students
>>> from the major post season national championships such as the TOC, NFL,