[Ndca-l] NDCA and card-clipping

Sue Peterson bk2nocal
Thu Dec 13 10:53:13 EST 2012

I, like Jane, am especially interested in the idea of a lesson plan of some
sort dealing with this (and perhaps other ethical issues in the new
paperless debate system - deleting speech docs immediately after rounds,
etc.).  I know a lot of the summer camps cover this, but for any that fall
through the cracks, it would be nice to have something for their home
institutions or PT coaches to cover with them.

I also think that a piece of this may be judge education on the issue.  I
am not sure what the best way to do this is - but I think there is some
hesitancy among judges (myself included) in knowing exactly how to handle
these situations, who to alert if we do think it occurs (both coaches,
tournament administration, etc.) and what the appropriate measures are as
far as assigning a loss and points (e.g., what if only one partner is
"caught" doing it - is the assumption that both team members were doing it
and both will receive zero speaker points - depending on the time it occurs
in a round, this may HAVE to happen because only one speaker has spoken),
do we stop the round or let it continue and then use that as a voting issue
or is that something that is up to the debaters to make an argument about?
 Etc., etc.

There are many subjective considerations, but maybe a "best practices"
document would help.

Thanks!

--Sue

Sue Peterson, Director of Speech and Debate at CSU Chico
sepeterson at csuchico.edu
530-898-4771

My daughter was saved by a heart transplant!  Please consider becoming a
donor.  Check out http://www.donatelife.net/ for more information!
You can read my daughter's story at http://asecondheart.blogspot.com