[Ndca-l] Lexington Winter Invitational Registration is Open at Tabroom.com

Sara Sanchez slcathena
Mon Nov 5 10:46:04 EST 2012

The invitation for the tournament is posted on Tabroom and is
cut/pasted below for your convenience.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?BIG LEX? WINTER INVITATIONAL
251 Waltham Street
Lexington, MA 02421

November 2012
Dear Coaches and Debaters:

It is with great pleasure that we invite you to attend Lexington's
annual winter tournament, to be held Friday through Monday, January 18
through 21, 2012. We are a trifecta TOC qualifier at quarterfinals in
policy, Lincoln-Douglas and public forum debate. Please read the
invitation carefully. Debaters will only be allowed to compete under
their school name and if accompanied by a responsible adult as defined
by the Massachusetts Forensic League. Those home schooled may be
entered under their town name and accompanied by a parent/guardian in
accordance with MFL rules.

LINCOLN DOUGLAS AND PUBLIC FORUM TOURNAMENT

RESOLUTIONS: In Lincoln-Douglas, the NFL January-February resolution,
to be announced December 1 by the NFL national office. The Public
Forum division will debate the January NFL topic.

FORMAT: We offer novice and open LD and open PFD on Friday and
Saturday, January 18-19. In varsity LD we will attempt to have 3
double-flighted rounds on Friday and three double-flighted rounds on
Saturday. We may single flight rounds on Saturday if possible (that
component of the schedule is subject to change). PFD and Novice LD
will be double-flighted throughout. Registration for these divisions
will be held at the High School, Friday, 12:30-2:15pm.

In the open LD & PFD division, we will offer six preliminary and five
elimination rounds. The novice LD division will offer five preliminary
rounds and an appropriate number of elimination rounds based on entry
numbers.  We will use MPJ in Varsity LD

Sunday and Monday there will be a Lincoln-Douglas Invitational Round
Robin. Students remaining on site while the policy divisions conclude
are invited to watch the Round Robin debates.

ENTRY LIMITS: Initially, 5 entries per category. Extra entries will go
on a waiting list, but please note that our first priority is to grant
additional schools.

JUDGES: Schools should make every effort to cover their entries with
qualified judges. Schools must provide one judge per 1-3 entries in
each division ? this means you need to cover your varsity entry
separately from your novices. For example, if you have two varsity
debaters and one novice debater in LD, you need two judges, one for
each pool. Advanced, experienced debaters (third or fourth year) may
judge in the novice division. Very qualified judges are expected in
the varsity divisions. Please note in your entry where you would like
your judges placed. You may not cover varsity entries with novice
judges. Hired judging info, see below.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Registration for all LD and PFD events is 12:30-2:15 in the Science
Lecture Hall. Classes are still in session, please be considerate! If
you have not registered by 2:15pm, you will not be on the round one
pairing.

Novice LD- all prelim rounds flighted

Friday
3:30 pm Round 1
5:30 pm Round 2
Dinner
8:15 pm Round 3
9:30 Housing

Saturday
7:30 am Round 4
10:00 am Round 5
Lunch
1:00 pm Doubles
2:30 pm Octos
4:30 pm Quarters
6:15 pm AWARDS
7:30 pm Semis
8:30pm Finals

Varsity LD

Friday - rounds are flighted
3:30 pm Round 1
5:30 pm Round 2
Dinner
8:00 pm Round 3
9-10 pm Housing

Saturday ? single flighted rounds 4&5
7:30 am Round 4
9:00 am Round 5
10:30 am Round 6
Lunch
1:00 pm Doubles
2:45 pm Octos
4:30 pm Quarters
6:15 pm AWARDS
7:30 pm Semis
8:30pm Finals

PFD Division ? All rounds flighted

Friday
4:00 pm Round 1
Dinner
6:30 pm Round 2
8:15 pm Round 3
9:30
Housing

Saturday
7:30 am Round 4
10:15 am Round 5
12:00 pm Round 6
Lunch
Octos 3:30 pm
5:00 pm Quarters
6:15 pm AWARDS
7:30 pm Semis
8:30 pm Finals

POLICY TOURNAMENT

RESOLUTIONS: We will be debating the 2012-2013 NFL resolution.

FORMAT: Two divisions of Policy (Novice and Varsity) will be offered
Saturday through Monday, January 19-21, 2013. This will allow us to
run 6 preliminary rounds in Varsity and Novice. The Varsity division
will break to Double Octafinals and the Novice division to Octafinals.
We will use MPJ in policy.

ENTRY LIMITS: Initially, 6 entries per category. Additional entries
will go on a waiting list, but please note that our first priority is
to grant additional schools entry.

JUDGES: Schools need to make every effort to cover their entries with
qualified judges. For all divisions of Policy, one judge must be
provided for every two entries or fraction thereof. Novice and Varsity
entries must be covered separately. That means if you have one novice
team and one varsity team, you need two judges, one for each pool.
Advanced, experienced debaters (third or fourth year) may judge in the
Novice division. Very qualified judges are expected in the Varsity
divisions. Novice judges cannot cover varsity entries. Hired judging
see below.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Saturday, January 19th
11:00am-12:15pm Registration. If you are not registered by 12:15pm,
you will not be on the round one pairing. (Teams with LD or PFD
entries can register on Friday)
1:00PM Opening Assembly
3:00PM Round 1 Open (Novice debaters are encouraged to watch debates)
5:00PM Round 2 Open, Round 1 Novice
Dinner (Free! Bring your meal tickets!)
7:30PM Round 3 Open, Round 2 Novice
Housing Follows at the High School

Sunday, January 20th
7:00AM Pairings Released
7:30AM Round 4 Open, Round 3 Novice
10:00AM Round 5 Open, Round 4 Novice
Lunch
1:00PM Round 6 Open, Round 5 Novice
4:00pm Awards and Dinner
5:00PM Double Octafinals Open, Octafinals Novice
7:30 PM Octafinals Open, Quarterfinals Novice

Monday, January 21th
7:15AM Pairings Released
8:00AM Quarterfinals Open, Semis Novice
Elimination Rounds Continue

GENERAL TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

HOUSING: Available for competing students and student judges in the
novice division. We will accept the first 250 requests. We reserve the
right to close housing when we have received 250 requests, so early
response is very important. Housing must be requested & confirmed on
Tabroom.com.  Please indicate on tabroom when you will be arriving and
departing, keeping in mind that some events will be concluding and
others will be starting. Please understand that meeting the *entry*
deadline does not guarantee that housing is available ? we have often
filled up housing far in advance of the entry deadline. Please
indicate total number of students, genders and names on the entry
website. Students should bring sleeping bags, towels and other
necessities for an overnight stay. Coaches and other adults may secure
housing at one of our local hotels.

The tournament hotel will be the Hilton Garden Inn in Burlington,
which is about a five minute drive from the high school. They have
offered us a rate of 89.00 per night, which includes hot breakfast and
complimentary internet access. To receive this rate call: Andrea
LeChance at (781)-272-8819 and mention Lexington Debate. The block is
held until the 28th of December.

We are working to negotiate a second block with the Aloft in
Lexington.  That hotel information will be out later this week.  An
email will be sent to all registered schools with that information as
soon as it is available.

FEES:
$25 school fee. If your registration check is postmarked by January
2nd, we will waive the school fee.
$130 per Policy team
$55 per Lincoln-Douglas debater
$75 per Public Forum team
$250 per hired judge

Fees will be reduced by half for Urban Debate League programs and any
school that has not competed in the tournament in the last 2 years.
Apply with the tournament director for half fees.

HIRED JUDGING: In order to hire judges you must provide at least one
judge in the category you are hiring. We can only sell hired judging
for the judges we have to hire. You must SPECIFICALLY request hired
judging on www.tabroom.com . You should not assume your hired judge
has been filled until your invoice is adjusted. If we run out of hired
judges, you will need to drop entries with unfilled judging.

ENTRIES ARE DUE ON FRIDAY, JANUARY 11 at 11:59PM.  FEES ARE FIXED AND
FROZEN MONDAY, JANUARY 14 AT 11:59 PM.  PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING
CAREFULLY. Drops are possible after this deadline, but that will NOT
affect the fees due at registration. Massachusetts Forensic League
rules require that any drops the day of the tournament be called in to
the tournament director, Sara Sanchez, at 801-635-7008. A $25 per
change nuisance fee will be assessed at the registration table for any
changes made at that time (this includes name changes, so PLEASE call
ahead). Entering our tournament accepts these rules. Invoices are
available on the registration site, massforensics.org. PO payment
plans are available with prior approval only. You must have full
payment at registration to be allowed to compete.

HOW TO REGISTER: We will close the tournament when it is full.
Registration will take place on the Massachusetts Forensics League
website-www.tabroom.com . Schools outside the League can set up an
account by logging in with the requested information. Please be sure
to register for the ?Lexington Winter Invitational.?

QUESTIONS: Email is strongly preferred -- send them to Sara Sanchez at
biglex at lexdebate.org . We cannot accept email or telephone
registrations; phone us only for late changes: 801-635-7008.

We look forward to welcoming you to scenic, historic Lexington in mid-January.

Sara Sanchez, Director of Debate
Rachel Mitton, Assistant Director of Debate
Chris Palmer, LD Coach
and the 2012-2013 Lexington Debate Team

DIRECTIONS TO LEXINGTON HIGH SCHOOL: Route 128/Interstate 95 is the
best approach from any direction. Exit 30 is the second Lexington
exit, regardless of the direction you are coming from; it is marked
ROUTE 2A. Follow ROUTE 2A EAST into Lexington. Travel for a little
more than a mile until you reach the first FULL traffic light; there
is a Dunkin' Donuts on this corner. Then turn left onto WALTHAM
STREET; pass through another traffic light; Lexington High School is
immediately on your left. Lexington is twelve miles from Boston's
Logan International Airport. Southwest Airlines fly into Providence
and Manchester (NH) airports -- they are each about 75 minutes' drive
from Lexington, and the fares are very low. We are also 20 minutes'
drive from a suburban Amtrak station. Contact us for further details.

--
Sara B. Sanchez
Director of Debate