[Ndca-l] Issues concerning the high school community

Stefan Bauschard stefan.bauschard
Tue Dec 17 21:46:35 EST 2013

A few thoughts:

(1) As far as anti-harrassment and behavior/conduct issues go, I think that
(most) directors only need to look so far as their school's own Conduct
policies. Ultimately, these control what our students can and cannot do (or
be subjected to) in debates. The policies themselves are not really
debatable (in terms of whether or not the debaters should be subjected to
the policy) within rounds by students.

I established a Conduct Policy for the Lakeland tournament (invitation here
--
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DEBATECOACHES/permalink/10151937771733183/)basedon
our district's Conduct policy. The Conduct policy established by the

I suspect that others have similar policies (and these policies are often
articulation of state and federal laws...). I know that the NYCDOE Conduct
Policy expresses similar ideas to those in the Lakeland district's policies.

I think that speech & debate organizations could issues their own policies
and directives, but ultimately what governs the behavior of our students is
the policies and districts of their own schools.  Schools may be members of
these leagues and organizations, but they have in any way decided that that
any directives issued by these organizations (would) trump any of their own
school (district) policies.

And, ultimately, I don't think I could enter students in an event in a
tournament if I don't think the tournament director had similar
expectations for conduct for all participants in the event that Lakeland
students would participate in.

I certainly understand why college coaches and tournament directors do not
necessarily have these same expectations for college debate tournaments
they host.

(2) Some of the potential issues that college debate is experiencing that
(could) spill-over to high school debate are largely confined to "policy"
debate. It seems that they could manifest themselves in L-D since at least
circuit versions of that event have copied many of the practices of policy
debate.  In contrast, for example, I haven't seen any of these issues
manifest themselves in Public Forum debate and that event seems to be the
biggest and fastest growing debate event in the US, and probably even the
world.  *Five hundred and fifty PF teams* registered for the Harvard
tournament in *5 days* and another 200 are on the wait list. It's the
biggest growth event (and also has the most competitors) in the NYC UDL. By
the end of the year, we expect that 5,000 kids will have debated in at
least one Public Forum tournament in China (and that is just in the league
I'm working with --  there is another PF League in China). 250 PF teams
debated in the Dominican Republic this fall. Hundreds are debating PF in
Korea.

And I also suspect that many of these potential problems have not
manifested themselves in local policy debate circuits. There are probably
at least a few thousand policy debaters in these leagues (Between NFL
points, JOT, NAUDL, and tabroom data we could get some good #so on this).

Anyhow, I think it is important to emphasize that these are primarily
*national circuit* "policy" (and maybe L-D) issues.

(3) I have a lot of opinions on MPJ :).  My bottom line is that I think it
is far superior to tab room ranked & placed judging. Most people in the
more specialized event of policy find random judging pretty unsatisfying.
 I think we should try to aid in efforts to make sure that all judges have
the opportunity to develop as judges, but figuring out how to do that is
practically quite difficult.

(4) I think the HS CDT is a worthwhile endeavor. I was on the college on
for a couple of years and I think it is very valuable. At the same time, I
think it is important to remember that "best practices" are not shared by
everyone and that it is ok for tournaments to have their own practices
(within reason).

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Claire McKinney
<olddirtyclaire at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> Aaron Timmons? email provides an opening in the high school forum that I
> feel more comfortable speaking in than in the college forum. As a long-term
> assistant coach with indirect employment with a school, my perspective may
> be a bit different. I have felt uncomfortable talking in the college
> forums, partially because I am no longer involved in the collegiate brand
> of the activity. Here are my thoughts. I?ll address Aaron?s thoughts first,
> then add one of my own.
>

> Regarding the first thought, while I agree that there are forms of
> argumentation that I agree are inappropriate, this question requires a
> larger question, which is what is the role of judges who take themselves to
> strive to be neutral arbiters to intervene in drawing this line? What is
> the role of tournament directors? Judges like myself whose livelihoods are
> not tied to programs, or ?guns for hire? who don?t even have consistent
> institutional affiliation and thus may be unconcerned about the survival of
> a particular program may take the laissez faire ethos of debate as a given
> and thus refuse to sanction things they may find personally offensive. Is
> this a question for tournament directors instead? I think this is an
> interesting question regarding regulating content.
>

> On the second question of respect, this is also something which may have
> increased meaning in our current moment, but I find to be of more endemic
> concern. That is, I often feel that the hyper-competitive environment that
> I sometimes experience and contribute to, where the value of winning
> remains unquestioned and of paramount good, means that often, we don?t show
> the respect we ought to towards all competitors. While I think this is less
> a problem in many of the settings of high school debate, the over-emphasis
> on the meaning of winning and forgetting the value of losing for students
> sometimes leads to attitudinal and pedagogical practices that are less than
> beneficial for students. Understanding that students mirror how we talk
> about one another and treat other competitors and the question of wins and
> losses may invite some needed self-reflection for all of us.
>

> On the third point, regarding camps, I may be speaking out of turn, but
> there *are* camps that already do this that many of the elite programs
> rarely if ever send their students to. I have been a teacher at the
> University of Texas? camp for over a decade, and our curriculum has been
> committed to both intense policy training and critical education to engage
> with alternative practices for that entire time. This is not a plea to send
> your students to the UTNIF (I have no real ties to UT?s debate program that
> are not social and my tenure with high school debate will probably
> significantly diminish as soon as I complete my PhD). I would venture to
> say that many regional camps across the country have similar dedications
> [...]

Stefan Bauschard

Debate Coach, Harvard Debate
Debate Coach, Lakeland Schools
International Programs Consultant, National Forensic League (US)
Consultant, National Forensic League of Korea (ROK)
Consultant, Dipont Education Management (China)

(C) 781-775-0433
(F) 617-588-0283