[Ndca-l] Issues concerning the high school community

Hartney, Gregg Gregg.Hartney
Wed Dec 18 09:22:35 EST 2013

With regard to the issue of MPJ, I am still uncomfortable with a practice that turns the teaching of communication skills on its head. A basic tenet of all models of effective communication (assuming we are still interested in pursuing communication skill development as a goal of the activity) is that the speaker/sender must learn to adapt to the audience/receiver. MPJ reverses that element and allows the speaker to adapt the audience/receiver to her/his preferred method or style of communication. I find that inconsistent with my goal as an educator in the field of communications. I don't pretend to speak for the college community, as I understand they have a very different mission and goal than we do in high school, much as the college athletic coach has a very different job than their high school counterparts. But private conversations over many years of high school coaching suggest to me that the majority of high school teachers of speech and debate share my misgivings.