[Ndca-l] Issues concerning the high school community

Nicole Serrano nicole.serrano
Wed Dec 18 09:34:23 EST 2013

It seems like some of the discussion is really more on decorum and
appropriate behavior (which can often be a loaded terminology, but I lack
the appropriate vocabulary to spell that out right now) than the realm of
the topic. Administrator support is very important, but if that were the
focus, I'm guessing many things would change from the length of tournaments
(no one loves kids missing as many school days as they do), to practices
that go on in everyday debate rounds.

As someone who daily has to explain debate to people who know little about,
my biggest question/concern from administrators, donors, and even
volunteers who see a "national" circuit debate round is the speed of
delivery. They overwhelmingly feel it is inappropriate for teaching
students advocacy skills.

Once we get past that, they'll ask about the swearing and the casual
attire. (Often, they assume it is simply because the UDL students can not
afford appropriate attire and so offer to donate clothing. It takes some
time to explain that debate does not have a dress code).

Third most common discussion - "why does everything end in nuclear war?" A
major funder of ours has seen a lot of debate and is a huge fan - but she
is totally perplexed by the way that debaters go "off topic" by ending in
nuclear war, talking about whatever politics DA, etc. Some of those
arguments are much easier to explain and get on board, but some less so.
I'll mock myself - I can't really imagine an administrator walking in and
being proud that I coached students to read E-Prime. Has anyone ever been
able to tell an outside person about time cube with a straight face?

I think Greg Hartney's post about why MPJ may not align with the goals of
high school debate is really astute.  It seems like a lot of this question
that the college community is wrestling with something the high school
community is a lot closer to answering - what is the point of doing debate?
why the long weekends, the summers, the fundraisers, etc? What's the point
for everyone? Is it to teach advocacy skills, public policy, civic
awareness, etc.  Not that the administration part is not a *huge* component
to that, but it seems like that is maybe the limiting factor to how to go
about those goals.  Perhaps the high school community can take control of
these questions by agreeing on some vision of debate and working backward
from there.

my 2 cents and not that representative of thoughts/ideas of Dallas Urban
Debate, the Bush Center, or the Debate Institutes at Dartmouth.