[Ndca-l] Issues concerning the high school community

Chris Wheatley cwheatley
Wed Dec 18 15:57:54 EST 2013

...a fascinating and important thread of discussion here.
I want to thank AT and all respondents for these sincere thoughts and suggestions.
That said, I would just like to make the following claims:

1) Debate has, does and will belong to debaters.  I imagine there will always be practices, arguments and personalities which frustrate and anger many in the activity. This is NOT a reason to censor or ban.  I tend to fear those who claim to know what the activity of argumentation and debate, 'is' or 'should be'...debate is always in the process of becoming.  What the activity looks and sounds, (and smells?) like will always change, sometimes dramatically, sometimes slightly.  We should probably remember to celebrate ANY individual (student or coach) who is able to risk self in a sincere pursuit of a passion or ideal.  Debate has and will continue to change. If the change doesn't reflect our own experience with the activity, it doesn't make the change 'bad'...just different. I would suggest that much of the 'controversy' arising from many of these instances are only controversial, (or only exist at all) because of the wonderful improvement in all types of diversity in the tournament environment. It is perhaps an unknowable line between, 'troublemaker' and 'innovator/game changer'.

2) Debate competitions are a public space. There are very real societal restrictions on communication. If the competitions utilize a YouTube or
Facebook post, then I might suggest FCC standards/rules/regulations apply...I know this contradicts #1 above on censorship, but I concede there is a greater community interest at stake. Perhaps it's enforcing the '7 words' policy of public airwaves (please listen to the George Carlin routine).  No shouting, 'gun' or 'bomb' in a crowded tournament.  I used to tell students their language should be something a grandparent would be proud to hear, (probably a bit draconian). I am and always have been a big fan of civil discourse. I think it's the only way the debate activity, or any society can continue.

3) MPJ, (at least in preliminary rounds)is a form of censorship. It would seem consistent for each/every judge to have an equal opportunity or chance of hearing any given debate team just as any debate team has the equal opportunity to debate any other team.  It has also been a primary driver for self-selecting ourselves into irrelevancy. While I applaud Professor Hester's posts and his thoughts on the dramatic separation of debate from communication ( and Communication Departments) I do not understand why  debate in any form, format or institution would not strive to improve communication and perhaps even expand the size of our audience.  This would seem to be a most valuable skill and benefit to anyone.

4) The world of High School does entail many more restrictions and responsibilities for the HS coach/teacher.  As long our society continues to create and honor the social construction of 'child' through an 18th birthday, (and beyond in some cases) than those of us working in secondary education will always be exposed to more rules, risks and consequences. High school teachers/coaches have long deferred to post-secondary colleagues for creating arguments and providing training,  yet we are now surprised and upset that our students look beyond their own coach and squad for suggestions and support.  Decisions on argument selection, tournament attendance, judging and anything else impacting high school debate would probably best be done by high school teachers/coaches, students, parents and yes, even administrators. Students and teachers alike must be made aware that there are consequences to each and every choice made. Helping us all think through the potential risks, benefits and unknown consequences will only help us in debate and in our lives.

Arguably Yours, the debate salutation
CEW
Christopher Wheatley, Aspen HS, (CO)

Thanks to any/all who took the time to read