[Ndca-l] Issues concerning the high school community

Robb Gray firstpacific
Wed Dec 18 16:14:25 EST 2013

With MPJ, I believe, you could accomplish both goals if: instead of always
going for 1-1's or 2-2's you made it so that every tier was included. i.e.
if you went all the way out to 9's one 9th of each teams rounds would have
to have a 9-9. Well you get the picture. It's easier to illustrate if you
have a 6 round tournament and only go out to 6's. Adaptation would be
essential. Same in out rounds. With a 5 panel round you have a 2-2, 3-3,
4-4, 5-5, and a 6-6.

Also, and I've said this before, Debate truly is about how much can you
abuse the other team without the judge voting against you. Our community
accepts much of this abuse. Speed talk is the best example. It leads to card
clipping. The answer to speed talking and card clipping, in my opinion is
simple. If I didn't hear it, you didn't say it. Just say clear or slow every
time they are going so fast you can't understand it. If the debaters don't
adapt it's on them. Don't call for cards to see what they said. If you
didn't hear it they didn't say it. You can call for cards for other reasons,
but not to see what you didn't hear.

As for ethical and conduct codes: Doesn't every school and every district
already have them? Just enforce the codes that are in place. Best Regards,
Robb Gray

I will be taking some time off during the hollidays'. My last day in the
office will be December 20th. I will be back in the office December 30th and
for a half day on December 31st. Back in the office on January 2nd.

  _____