[Ndca-l] "Civility"

Tara Tate ttate
Wed Dec 18 16:16:51 EST 2013

To clarify my initial brief post, I am discussing the degree of sexual
inappropriateness that has occurred as of late.  Issues of race, gender,
and sexual orientation can certainly be discussed in many rounds and lead
folks to feel uncomfortable as they face their own actions and thoughts
that lead to exclusivity.  I am not talking about that.  I am not talking
about debates that may discuss FGM, sterilization, etc.    Those issues can
all be discussed in a realm that does not create an environment that makes
me feel uncomfortable as the adult in the room with minors talking about
indepth issues of sexuality.  I will come off to a conservative prude to
some but I am talking about the level of sexual inappropriateness.  One can
intellectually discuss issues of exclusion and make me feel
uncomfortable....that is what those discussions are meant to do.  There is
a level of inappropriateness that transcends the boundaries of adult
educator listening to minors.  For me this goes far beyond the "f" word and
conversations about rape, FGM that are intellectual in nature.

I am not saying AT was calling me out but after I posted my brief thoughts,
I even wondered myself if my post would not be clear in regards to the
arguments that I am talking about.

Adjudicating a debate round is my work space - just as in my classroom,
discussions that make me uncomfortable because they challenge my belief
systems are welcome.  Discussions that indepthly discuss sexuality by
minors in front of me is not.

Tara

Best,
Tara L. Tate
Director of Debate, Glenbrook South HS
Chairperson of the Board, National Debate Coaches Association