[Ndca-l] Debate Institutes at Dartmouth hiring PF staff

Nicole Wanzer-Serrano nicole.serrano
Wed May 7 11:40:47 EDT 2014

Hello coaches,

The DDI numbers have gone up across all of our programs. After hiring more
policy debate staff, we're now looking for 1 - 2 additional Public Forum
staff for our one-week camp. Information is below. Please feel free to
forward/post. We will begin reviewing applications on Monday.

Thanks!

Dates: Teaching staff must arrive on Friday, July 4, 2014.  Teaching
responsibilities begin on Sunday, July 6, 2014 and run through Friday,
July 11, 2014.  Teaching staff may depart Friday evening or at any
time during the next day.

Compensation: $1,000.00 and a mileage reimbursement of up to $250.00
(contingent on completion of student evaluations and return of fan and
room key).  Staff will also receive housing in a dorm room, a partial
meal plan, access to the college library and public college
facilities, and parking.

Program Details: The Public Debate Skills Workshop is a program for
students of all skill and experience levels that are interested in
developing their public speaking and debating skills.  Students are
grouped by their experience and debate style.  More details about the
program are available at
http://www.ddidebate.org/public-debate-workshop/, which will be
updated shortly with more information about 2014.  The program
generally attracts a group of engaged, highly motivated students.  The
Public Debate Skills Workshop is a component of the debate workshops
that have run at Dartmouth College for more than 30 years.

Responsibilities: This is an intensive one-week program that generally
involves teaching a small group of students from 9:00 a.m. to noon,
judging debates from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and teaching from 7:00
p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  There is a tournament on the last day of the
program.  The institute directors will provide a suggested curriculum,
but teaching staff should expect to develop specific lesson plans and
adapt to the students? specific strengths and weaknesses.
Additionally, teaching staff should expect to give detailed oral
comments to students when judging debates as well as disclosing and
explaining decisions orally during the tournament.  Teaching staff may
also be asked to supervise students on a day trip to the Calvin
Coolidge Historic Site.

Qualifications: Teaching staff must actively coach a debate team.
Experience teaching a debate class is preferred.

To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and sample debate
lesson plan to info at ddidebate.org.  The lesson plan does not need to
be formal but should show how you would teach a specific debate topic
or skill.  We will begin reviewing applications Monday, May 12th

--
Nicole Wanzer-Serrano & Kathryn Kernoff
Co-Directors