[Ndca-l] Berkeley Preparatory School Debate Coach

Speer, Mike SpeerMik at berkeleyprep.org
Sat Jan 17 00:57:00 UTC 2015

Berkeley Preparatory School in Tampa is seeking qualified applicants for the position of policy debate coach and teacher.

Berkeley has a growing and very dedicated young debate team. The team travels an extensive national schedule and competes exclusively in policy debate.

I (Mike Speer) expect to remain involved with the team organizing travel, overseeing the budget, looking after administrivia, and participating in practices, meeting, and travel so that the our new coach has as maximum opportunity to work with students.

Berkeley’s entire administrative team is thoroughly committed to having a nationally successful debate team. Berkeley debate parents are enthusiastic and positive in their support for the team.

At Berkeley the debate coach is a teaching position with a full load of four classes. At this point we are looking for an English teacher or (somewhat unusually for a debate coach) a computer science teacher. At the moment, Berkeley does not have a debate class but there is administrative support to create one in the future. We do offer two sections of a course called “Reasoning, Research, and Rhetoric” which has its roots in my earlier efforts under a prior administration to create a “stealth” debate class. A coaching candidate might enjoy the opportunity to teach this class.

Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, a resume, and contact information for two debate-related references to:

Speermik at berkeleyprep.org

Mike Speer
Technology Director
Debate Coach