[Ndca-l] 2016 Nichols Invitational at Harker

Greg Achten gregachten at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 19:16:42 UTC 2016

Hello!

We just wanted to take a moment to update you about the 2016 Nichols
Invitational at the Harker School. There are some important changes to the
tournament this year that we would like to make everyone aware of.

First, the tournament will run September 30-October 2, 2016 returning to a
Friday-Sunday model. Rounds will start Friday evening at 4:00 PM. This
change was prompted by a very large construction project going on at our
school that will also create some additional challenges that I will explain
in a bit.

Second, we are adding Lincoln-Douglas and Policy debate back to this
tournament in addition to Public Forum and Congressional Debate.
Historically the Nichols hosted these events and it is our goal to build a
strong tournament in all events. Space limitations with all of these events
will both mean that we now will only host a varsity division of each event
and also that we will have hard entry caps of 4 teams per event and 8
congressional debaters per school. All additional entries will be placed on
a waitlist. Entries will open at tabroom.com on August 15.

Third, because of space limitations we are no longer able to host the
Novice Public Forum workshop or the first year tournament.

Fourth, because of construction there is virtually no parking on our Upper
School campus. Coaches and competitors will need to park at the Harker
Middle School and we will run a continuous shuttle service to and from the
Middle School. This is obviously a more long term concern but we just
wanted to give everyone as much notice as possible.

For folks traveling we have reserved a block of rooms at a nearby hotel and
we will be posting that information as well as the invitation and full
schedule soon at tabroom.com.

We loo  forward to hosting you and your team once again this year!

Best,

Greg Achten, Jenny Alme and Marjorie Hazeltine