[Ndca-l] NDCA Dates

Timothy Mahoney pacedebate at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 11:00:54 EST 2017

Thanks to Maggie for explaining some of the underlying rationales for the
current schedule. Having been the tournament director for several years let
me answer the questions about the process for change. Our tournament
procedures specify possibilities for amendment. I will paste those in
below. The current procedures have a recommended schedule but that schedule
doesn't specify what day the tournament would start/end. It would be a
logical spot to place an amendment that required the tournament not to have
competition on Sunday.
One thing to keep in mind is that tournaments hosts for the next few years
have already been selected and for 2018 (Marist) the hotel contract has
already been signed.
Here is the section of our tournament procedures that specifies how the
document can be amended:

Amendments

This document may be amended in any of the following ways:

1) By a simple majority vote of the board.
2) A member of the NDCA that is not a board member may submit a written
request for amendment to the NDCA President at any time. If said written
request includes the signature of 10 or more members of the NDCA the NDCA
President should, within one week, submit the amendment to the board to be
voted on. The amendment is approved if a simple majority of the board votes
in favor. If the amendment fails to receive a simple majority of board
votes the person submitting the amendment may attempt to include more
signatures. If the amendment is resubmitted with signatures of more than
half of the NDCA membership within one year of the boards rejection of the
amendment then the amendment is approved without a board vote. For the
purposes of this procedure "half of the NDCA membership" will be determined
by dividing the number of NDCA members on the day the amendment is rejected
by the board and divided by two.

3) These procedures may be amended by a simple majority vote of the board
consistent with voting procedures as specified in the bylaws.

Thanks,

Tim Mahoney

Director, 2017 NDCA National Championships