[Ndca-l] NDCA Dates

Maggie Berthiaume maggiekb at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 11:02:51 EST 2017

Sorry, I didn't reply all.

Here's my response to Travis:

Hi Travis,

Good question, and one Georgia has grappled with while I've been coaching
here.

I don't know about the NDCA specifically, but in terms of tournament
scheduling generally, tournaments often do Saturday/Sunday/Monday for two
reasons:

1. Building Availability. It's relatively easy to get classrooms in schools
(high school and college) on Saturday and Sunday. It's near impossible to
get them on a weekday. By hosting Sat/Sun/Mon, the tournament moves to the
hotel for later elims on Monday when they don't need very many rooms. It's
rare (and very expensive) to find a hotel that can fit a whole tournament
worth of classrooms, rather than just late elims.

I'm imagining NDCA would really struggle to find either high schools or
colleges that could offer ~100 rooms on a Thursday and Friday.

2. Missed School. With the current Saturday-Monday format, teams that
wanted to miss the least amount of school could leave Friday evening and
come back Monday evening, missing only one day of school (Monday).

Switching to Thursday/Friday/Saturday for the competition would mean two
missed days (Thursday/Friday). I do think a lot of schools fly out during
the day on Friday or back on Tuesday, though, so I'm guessing #1 is the
real sticking point.

Hope that helps — I'm privy to the NDCA conversations, but those were the
main issues Georgia considered.

Maggie

Woodward Academy